THE HISTORY OF RADFORD HIGH SCHOOL
Radford High School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and was named after Admiral Arthur W. Radford, former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who was stationed in Hawaii while serving in the U.S. Navy. Radford was established in 1957, and graduated its first class in June 1960. It is one of six high schools in the Central Oahu District. It is located on 27 acres of land, one mile from Pearl Harbor.
The majority of students are federally connected. Their parents are either on active military duty or are employed by the federal government. This results in a large turnover in student population each year.
Radford's curriculum is designed to meet academic, vocational, and interest needs of its students. The required and elective programs are broad enough to prepare all graduates for their future goals. Radford offers various co-curricular activities to meet as many needs and interests as possible. These include student government, class level activities, honor societies, service clubs, special interest clubs, and interscholastic athletics. Over the years, Radford students have been recipients of various scholarships and honors, which include the Presidential Scholar, National Merit Scholars, Teen Citizen of Hawaii, Voice of Democracy, Hawaii's Junior Miss, Century III Leader, and appointments to all military service academies.
This aerial photograph of Radford High School reveals the willingness of the faculty member who flew the plane to obtain an overall picture of Radford. From 1200 feet above the school, Radford appears to be a single entity with identifiable sections that span off into identifiable directions. On the ground, however, the overall picture of Radford is as diverse as those who comprise it including our students, faculty, staff, and administrators. (1995)